THE SPACE OF IDEAS
Welcome. I’m Darla Villani, a New York-based multidisciplinary artist and educator.
I make visual, performative and writing things.
In fact, I’ve just completed WILDLIFE, a book project drafted during a MacDowell Colony interdisciplinary research fellowship.
YOUR WORK & MINE
It’s exciting to design coursework and facilitate pathways for you to experience new ways of finding and making your work.
I offer a variety of performance based interdisciplinary workshops, custom classes and project / process support for emerging artists and curious minds.
Sharing my knowledge and skill in tangible, actionable ways with you is my latest life’s work. You can find me teaching and creating work in university, study abroad, art instensive and studio enviroments.
I began as a painter at the Art Institute of Boston and Massachusetts College of Art. After receiving a B.F.A, exhibiting and teaching, I pursued dance and choreography. A recipient of NEA grants, residencies, commissions and a Guggenheim Fellowship in Choreography. My dance work as a soloist has been shown at The Joyce Theatre, Dance Theatre Workshop, The Kitchen and International venues.
Highlights include an invitation from Bill T. Jones to collaborate in the creation and performance of a premiere work for his company called, Ursonate. I was the first collaborator invited into the company since his partner, the late Arnie Zane.
Robert Wilson has also extended several invitations to participate in the development of new projects at the Watermill Center including Death,Destruction in Detroit III, Barcelona Point, and notably working with Dominque Sanda on Wilson’s adaption of The Lady From The Sea.
The MacDowell Colony invited me as a resident artist for an interdisciplinary research fellowship to draft WILDLIFE, a book.
Recent Teaching Experience:
- Semester Guest Faculty / Butler University Internship Program, New York City / A Space for Ideas. Engaging in the Arts in NYC
- Semester Residency Guest Artist / Jordan Collage of the Artist, Butler University / Seminars, original devised performance
- Guest Artist / London Theatre Winter Intensive Butler University
- Guest Artist / London Theatre Summer Intensive Butler University / Theater Academy of London / Information Architecture Lab
- Guest Faculty / Information Architecture – Knowledge Production / Ohio University Global Theater Institute NYC Summer Program
- Guest Artist / co-instructor with Robert Sember / How am I here?: A Workshop in the Epistemology and Pedagogy of Performance
Ohio University Global Theater Institute NY Summer Program
PICTURES WITHOUT PROOF
Performance is so ephemeral. Here are a few images of solo and collaborative work.
“Pictures Without Proof was just as mystifying but arresting in its strangeness. She moved in the gutsy, direct way of an athlete, but there was nothing direct about the solo, a secret one wanted to know."
“Villani stands for everything esoteric and cutting edge. Her solos are case examples of some choreographic Heisenberg uncertainty principle. You never know which way is up, and apparently, she likes it that way.”
“Run, don’t walk to see and hear, Ursonate, a tour de force performance."
“Darla takes risks in ways that are difficult to explain. She has a very original mind. I felt she was a person in the world of dance for the right reasons.”
Idea Jockey. Seasoned Artist. New Author.
© 2019 All Rights Reserved